The Ruin of that House Was Great 

“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.”
(Luke 6:46–49, KJV)

In the USA today, one would be hard-pressed to find a city or town without any building codes. Contractors take great care to prepare their building sites adequately; they need to choose materials and methods that are appropriate to the areas, and they must install foundations in a manner that meets those codes. So, society has stepped-in to protect people by mandating that great structures cannot be built above without the proper support from below. Yet millions of people build great structures with no thought to the foundation… and a great many of these are even built on air! So, what awaits a house that has an inadequate or an ethereal foundation? 

Poorly supported houses can still look grand. But a secret lies where nobody looks — where nobody dares to look — lest they have to deal with their folly: The slightest ripple in the earth or the merest flood will send these great houses crashing to the ground!

To the non-critical observer, everything looks as it should — but herein lays the danger: People with shaky foundations are looking to other people with shaky foundations for answers… and these agree together that their houses are in great shape. In fact, the sheer number of such houses acts as an emotional surety since it is “unreasonable” to believe that millions of people are in such acute jeopardy… right? But is this truly unreasonable? The Bible is very plain on this issue: Jesus Christ is the foundation of everything — and that he alone is the rock.

“For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.”
(1 Corinthians 3:11, NIV).

I shall not say that our many religious, governmental or cultural structures do not look grand. On the contrary, their grandeur attracts millions — and they may stand for a while. But — (and this is a huge but) they shall not stand forever. Don’t get me wrong, a foundation is certainly about today — we do not court destruction. But a foundation is more about tomorrow because tomorrow will shake, tomorrow will flood — tomorrow will test every work against the gauge of Jesus Christ.

Imagine this: Great structures — all conceived for the public good, money given for relief, decades of selfless labor — and many of these works done in God’s name! — even these will count for nothing without the true foundation of Jesus Christ.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21–23, KJV)

It is incumbent upon the tenants of a building to secure their own safety. Don’t merely rely on the builder — and don’t look at the other structures which are similarly flawed for comparison. Check-in with the Master Designer. He determines whether or not your foundation is up to code.

(End).

Add comment

Security code
Refresh